- Ph.D. in Human Resource Management, Rutgers University
- M.A. in Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University
- B.A. in Economics and in History, Lafayette College
- M.Div. candidate (1997-1999), Yale University, The Divinity School
Research, Teaching and Consulting Focus
- Management and Leadership from a Christian Perspective
- Organizational Performance
- Negotiation and Persuasion
- Faith-Based Education
- Spiritual Formation and Character Development
- Professor of Leadership and Strategy, Department of Management and Business, Messiah College (2008 to present, Department Chair 2008-2011)
- Endowed Chair and Associate Professor of Management, Charleston Southern University School of Business (2006 to 2008)
- Dean, Regent University School of Business (2004 to 2006); Associate Professor of Management (1999 to 2006).
- Assistant Professor of Management, Fairfield University School of Business (1994 to 1999).
- Soccer Field, Mission Field: 100 coaches reveal how they play for something more (forthcoming 2016)
- The Messiah Method: The seven disciplines of the winningest college soccer program in America, Xulon Press, 2011
- Management By Proverbs: Scriptural wisdom for superior results. Xulon Press, 2008 (2nd edition; 1st edition published by Moody Press: Chicago IL, 1999. Also available in Mandarin, Korean and Portuguese).
- Influencing Like Jesus: 15 Biblical principles of persuasion, B&H Publishing: Nashville TN, 2008. (Also available in Korean and Spanish).
- The Minister’s MBA: Essential business tools for maximum ministry success (with George Babbes), Broadman & Holman: Nashville TN, 2006.
- Freedom from Busyness: Biblical help for overloaded people. LifeWay Christian Resources: Nashville TN, 2006.
- The Christian on Monday Morning: Essential readings for living your faith at work (Michael Zigarelli and Randolph Case, editors), PageFree Publishing: Otsego, MI, 2005.
- Cultivating Christian Character: How to become the person God wants you to be and how to help others to do the same. Purposeful Design Publications / Association of Christian Schools International: Colorado Springs CO, 2005.
- Ordinary People, Extraordinary Leaders: A landmark study of Christians in business and ministry: How they lead, where they stumble, what helps them succeed. Synergy Publishers: Gainesville FL, 2002.
- Faith at Work: Overcoming the obstacles to being like Christ in the workplace. Moody Press: Chicago, IL, 2000. (Also available in Portuguese).
- Christianity 9 to 5: Living your faith at work. Beacon Hill Press: Kansas City, MO, 1998. (Also available in Arabic)
- Can They Do That? A guide to your rights on the job. Lexington Books: New York, NY, 1994.
- Creator, Christianity9to5.org and its YouTube Channel (Christianity 9 to 5: Practical advice for the other six days)
- Creator, Assess-Yourself.org: Assess Yourself is a web site that offers free and anonymous self-assessment tools for estimating one’s spiritual condition. Since its launch in 2001, more than 40,000 people worldwide have completed one or more of these assessments.
- Learning Leadership Through Film (2014): A ten session study
- The Christianity 9 to 5 Bible Study (2013): Ten 45 minute studies, intended for Sunday school or workplace small group discussion.
- The LifePlan Workbook (2013): A step-by-step guide for identifying and pursuing vocational success.
- Founder and Former Editor, FaithInTheWorkplace.com (now owned by TheHighCalling.org): This is the official “workplace” channel for ChristianityToday.com.
Academic (Refereed) Articles
- Duncan, J.B. and M. Zigarelli (2015) “Building a Strategy Map for a School of Business in a Christian University,” Christian Business Academy Review, Spring, pp. 77-84.
- Zigarelli, M. and G. Page, (2014) “When the Golden Rule Yields No Gold,” Christian Business Academy Review, Spring, pp. 57-62.
- Zigarelli, M. (2012) “Training, Transforming and Transitioning: A Blueprint for the Christian University,”Ě Journal of Research on Christian Education, Volume 21, Number 1, pp. 62-79.
- Zigarelli, M. (2005) “How Gay-Friendly Should Your Workplace Be?”Ě Journal of Biblical Integration in Business, Fall edition, pp. 68-73.
- Zigarelli, M. (1998) “How Title VII Erodes the Mission of the Religious University” International Journal of Value-Based Management, Vol. 11, pp. 47-59.
- Zigarelli, M. (1997) “Cybersmut in the Workplace: A New Legal Minefield for Employers” Journal of Individual Employment Rights, Vol. 6, Number 3, pp. 179-191.
- Zigarelli, M. (1997) “Clarifying the Boundaries of Sexual Harassment and Employer Liability: Judicial Application of Harris v. Forklift Systems, Inc.,” Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, Vol. 10, Number 1, pp. 49-63.
- Zigarelli, M. (1996) “Compulsory Arbitration of Non-Union Employment Disputes” Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 6, Number 3, pp. 183-206.
- Zigarelli, M. (1996) “An Empirical Test of the Conclusions from Effective Schools Research,” Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 90, Number 2, pp. 103-110.
- Zigarelli, M. (1996) “Ben & Jerry’s: A Case Study in Catholic Social Teaching?” International Journal of Value-Based Management, Vol. 9, pp. 133-140
- Zigarelli, M. (1996) “Bargaining Law Provisions and Teacher Bargaining Outcomes,” Journal of Labor Research, Vol. 17, Number 1, pp. 135-148
- Zigarelli, M. (1995) “Drug Testing Litigation: Trends and Outcomes,” Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 5, Number 4, pp. 245-265
- Zigarelli, M. (1995) “The Legal Pitfalls in Compensating Employees Based on their Family Need,” Journal of Church and State, Vol. 37, pp. 813-830
- Zigarelli, M. (1994) “The Linkages Between Teacher Unions and Student Achievement” Journal of Collective Negotiations in the Public Sector, Vol. 23, Number 4, pp. 299-319
- Zigarelli, M. (1993) “Catholic Social Teaching and the Employment Relationship: A Model for Managing Human Resources in Accordance with Vatican Doctrine,” Journal of Business Ethics, Vol 12, pp. 75-82
Proceedings, Book Chapters, Book Reviews, and Non-Refereed Articles
- Zigarelli, M. (2011) Book review of Good to Great in the Social Sectors by Jim Collins, Journal of Biblical Integration in Business.
- Zigarelli, M. (1996) Book review of Broken Promise: The Subversion of U.S. Labor Policy, 1947-1994 by James A. Gross, Journal of Labor Research, Vol. 18, Number 1, pp. 187-88.
- Zigarelli, M. (1995) “The American and Catholic Models of Worker Rights: A Comparison and Appraisal,” in Samuel M. Natale and Brian M. Rothschild, Editors, Work Values: Education, Organization, and Religious Concerns (Vol. II), Rodolfi Press, Amsterdam, pp. 73-87.
- Zigarelli, M. (1994) Book review of Labor Relations Law in State and Local Government by David A. Dilts, Clarence R. Deisch and Ali Rassuli, Journal of Labor Research, Vol. 15, Number 3, pp. 314-316.
- Begin, J.P. and M. Zigarelli (1994) “An Academy Survey: Do You Mitigate?” Proceedings of the Forty-Seventh Annual Meeting Annual Meetings of the National Academy of Arbitrators, pp. 30-41. (invited paper)
- Zigarelli, M. (1992) “Random Drug Testing in the Public Sector: The Legal Parameters,” Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 17, Number 3, pp. 459-471
Refereed Research Translations
- Zigarelli, M. (1996) “Human Resources and the Bottom Line,” Academy of Management Executive, Vol. 10, Number 2, pp. 63-64
- Cavanaugh, J.M. and M. Zigarelli (1995) “Drifting Toward the Segregated Workplace,” Academy of Management Executive, Vol. 9, Number 3, pp. 78-79
- “The End of Christian Education?” The Christian Post, August 2014
- “State Versus Faith: What’s at Stake in the Hobby Lobby case?” Foxnews.com, June 2014
- “Public Display: Are You Different in Public Than in Private?” HomeLife Magazine, July 2009, pp. 16-17.
- “Dictators Masquerading as Christian Leaders,” Christian Professional, Issue 4 (Winter 2007), pp. 7, 36.
- “Too Busy for God?” HomeLife Magazine, May 2006, pp. 40-43.
- “Conduct an Integrity Audit: A Step-by-Step Primer,” Christian School Education Vol. 9 (Fall 2005), pp. 26-28.
- Cover story: “Twenty Time-Tested Tactics for Improving Your People Skills” NRB Magazine (National Religious Broadcasters), Vol. 37. Number 5 (July 2005), pp. 16-18.
- Cover story: “Decoding The Apprentice” Christian Management Report, Vol. 20, No. 1 (February 2005), pp. 4-5. (This article is also available in html format from The Adventist Review)
- “The Priorities and Practices of Christian Managers,” Business Reform (July/August 2003)
- “How to Measure Character in Your Applicants,” Business Reform (May/June 2003)
- “Management by Encouragement,” Leadership Wired (Injoy: March 2003)
- “Who Witnesses at Work?” First Priority, The Magazine of the Luis Palau Evangelistic Association (December 2002)
- “Encouraging Words” Life@Work (November/December 2000)
- “Fight for Your Rights?” Moody Magazine (September 2000)
- “Business by the Book Pays Off,” New Man Magazine (March/April 2000)
Other Practitioner Articles and Case Studies¬†
- Reclaiming Excellence as a Christian Virtue
- Ten Disciplines for Transformational Teaching
- Ten Leadership Theories in Five Minutes (video version)
- A Curriculum for Developing Christian Leaders
- Distracted from God: A Five Year Worldwide Study
- The Pied Piper of Peoria: How American Culture Can Lure You from God and Weaken Your Faith
- The Primary Obstacles to Christian Leadership … and How to Overcome Them
- Escape the Bondage of Busyness
- The Epidemic of Busyness Among Christian Leaders
Video Case Studies
- The Case of “Successful” Sam
- How to Work with People You Don’t Like
- How Gay-Friendly Should Your Workplace Be?
- The Downsizing Dilemma
- The Case of Marsha and The Apprentice
- Atlanta, GA (LifeWay International): Freedom from Busyness
- Charleston, SC (LifeWorks): Overcoming Overload; Influencing Like Jesus in Business
- Charleston (CSU Board of Visitors): Faith Integration in Business School
- Easton, PA (Legatus): Influencing Like Jesus in the Workplace
- Harrisburg, PA (Messiah College Business Alumni): Designing a Christian Business Program
- Indianapolis, IN (Christian Business Leaders Association): Pride and Humility in Management
- Londrina, Brazil (South American Theological Seminary): Faithful Leadership
- Miami, FL (LifeWay Espanol): Influencing Like Jesus for Hispanics
- Nashville, TN (LifeWay Management Retreat): The Power of Simplicity
- North Charleston, SC (Northwood Assembly Church): Beating Busyness
- Orlando, FL (Association of Business Administrators of Christian Colleges): Influencing Like Jesus on Campus
- Oxford, England (Oxford University, St. Catherine’s College): Comparing the American and Catholic Models of Employee Rights
- Virginia Beach, VA (Regent University): Faith in the Workplace
- Wheaton, IL (Wheaton College): A Christian Approach to Making Business Decisions
Private and Public Sector Work Experience
- Epiphany Resources, LLC (founder and owner), 1994 to present: Management consulting for Christian schools and churches
- American Telephone and Telegraph, 1990-1991, Researcher, Selection and Testing Group, Morristown, NJ
- National Labor Relations Board, 1988-1989, Field Examiner, Newark, NJ